Google Keep and Google Docs are two incredibly useful apps for taking notes, organizing thoughts, and collaborating. However, moving content between them can be tedious. In this article, I’ll show you how to easily bring all your Google Keep notes into a Google Doc with just a single click using Integromat.
Why Connect Google Keep and Google Docs
There are several key reasons you may want to bring your Google Keep notes into a Google Doc:
Centralize All Your Notes and Thoughts
Keeping notes scattered across Google Keep and Google Docs makes it hard to get an overview of everything you’ve captured. Combining keeps everything neatly in one place – a Docs file – for easy reference.
Turn Random Notes into Long-form Writing
Google Keep is great for jotting down quick notes and thoughts. Google Docs excels at long-form writing. Together, they make it easy to gather notes and expand them into articles, reports, and other documents.
Collaborate with Team Members
If you want to collaborate with colleagues on notes captured in Google Keep, bringing them into a shared Google Doc makes that simple. Everyone can access them and work together in the same file.
Step 1: Install the Integromat Google Keep to Docs Integration
Integromat is an automation platform that connects apps and services together with pre-built integrations. We’ll use their Google Keep to Google Docs integration to automatically bring notes over:
- Go to Integromat and sign up for a free account.
- In the main dashboard, search the integration marketplace for “Google Keep to Docs”.
- Click the integration and then click the “Add Integration” button to install it.
This will install the pre-built automation that can automatically transfer Google Keep notes into Google Docs.
Step 2: Connect Your Google Accounts
Next, you need to connect Integromat to both your Google Keep and Google Docs accounts:
- In Integromat, go to Settings > Manage Connections.
- Click Connect next to Google Keep and Google Drive.
- Follow the prompts to sign in with your Google account and grant access.
Connecting your accounts allows Integromat to access your Keep notes and Docs files to automatically transfer data between them.
Step 3: Set Up a Trigger
Triggers tell Integromat when to activate an automation. We need to set up a trigger to run when a new note is created in Google Keep:
- On the left sidebar, click Triggers > New Trigger > Google Keep > New Note.
- Configure it to watch for new notes in your Google Keep account.
- Click Save Trigger.
Now whenever a new note is added to Google Keep, it will activate our automation.
Step 4: Create a Docs Template
We want all the Keep notes to be imported into a single Google Doc file. Let’s create a template doc that will be used for this:
- Open Google Docs and create a new blank document.
- Add any logos, headers, footers or formatting you want.
- Give the doc an obvious name like “Keep Notes Template”.
- Click File > Make a copy to convert it into a reusable template.
This Doc will now serve as our import destination for Keep notes.
Step 5: Set Up the Google Keep -> Docs Automation
Now we can set up the automation to transfer new Keep notes into our template doc:
- In Integromat, open the Google Keep to Docs integration.
- Select the trigger we set up earlier.
- Under Create Document, select the Doc template you created.
- In the Write to Document step, map the Keep note fields (Title, Text, etc) to Docs.
- Click Save & Run Automation.
The integration is now active! New Google Keep notes will automatically be imported into the template doc.
Step 6: Add Notes in Google Keep
To test it out, simply create a new note in Google Keep:
- Open the Google Keep app or keep.google.com.
- Create a new note with a title and some text.
- Click the Save icon to save the new note.
Within seconds, that note should automatically appear in your Google Doc!
Additional Tips for Using the Integration
Here are some additional pointers for getting the most from the Integromat Google Keep to Docs integration:
- Add labels in Keep – Applying labels like #docs allows creating rules that only import notes with a certain label.
- Create multiple Docs – Make multiple Doc templates for different types of notes that get saved into different files.
- Schedule automation runs – Rather than only importing on new notes, you can schedule batch transfers on a daily or weekly basis.
- Share imported Docs – Share the docs containing your Keep notes to collaborate with other people.
So that’s it! With just a few clicks, you can now automatically bring all your Google Keep notes into Google Docs for easy long-form writing and collaboration.
Connecting Google Keep and Google Docs takes your note-taking and writing to the next level. Integromat makes the integration seamless with its pre-built automation allowing you to:
- Centralize scattered notes into a single Doc
- Turn quick Keep notes into long-form writing
- Collaborate with colleagues on your thoughts
Setting it up takes just a few minutes and requires no coding or technical skills.
If you take a lot of notes in Google Keep that you later want to develop into more formal writing, giving this integration a try can save you tons of time and effort!