Microsoft Word is one of the most widely used word processors globally. However, at times users face issues with Word getting stuck on the splash screen when launching the application. This article provides a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot this problem.
What Causes Microsoft Word to Get Stuck on the Splash Screen?
There can be several reasons why Microsoft Word gets stuck on the splash screen when you try to launch it:
- Corrupted Normal Template (Normal.dot/Normal.dotm) – This template stores Word’s default settings like styles, macros etc. If this file gets corrupted, it can prevent Word from starting properly.
- Conflict with Add-ins – Third-party add-ins that extend Word’s functionality can sometimes conflict and cause issues with launching Word.
- Outdated Windows Registry Settings – The registry stores Word’s configuration and if these get outdated or corrupted, it can lead to Word getting stuck.
- Hardware or Software Conflicts – Conflicts with antivirus software, firewalls, printers or other hardware can also cause Word launch issues.
Step-by-Step Troubleshooting Guide
Follow these steps to troubleshoot and fix Microsoft Word getting stuck on the splash screen:
1. Start Word in Safe Mode
Safe mode launches Word without loading any third-party add-ins. This isolates whether an add-in is causing the problem.
To do this:
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box
winword /safeand press Enter
- See if Word starts up successfully in safe mode
If yes, an add-in is likely causing the issue. Proceed to disable add-ins.
2. Disable Add-ins in Word
Since add-ins were identified as the potential cause, now disable them:
- Go to File > Options > Add-Ins
- In the Manage drop-down, select Word Add-ins > Go
- Uncheck the add-ins you want to disable
- Click OK and restart Word
Check if the splash screen issue is resolved. If yes, you’ll need to identify the problematic add-in and remove it.
3. Create a New Windows User Profile
Creating a new Windows user profile resets all Word configurations. This determines if the issue is limited to the current profile.
To do this:
- Go to Start and type
- Select the option to create a new user profile
- Log in to this new profile and check if Word launches fine
If Word opens fine in the new profile, your current profile is likely corrupted. You may have to reset it.
4. Repair/Reinstall Microsoft Office
If none of the above steps work, repair and reinstall Office:
- Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program
- Right click on Microsoft Office and select Repair
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair
If repairing doesn’t work, uninstall and reinstall Office completely.
5. Update Windows and Drivers
As a last resort, also update your Windows version, hardware drivers, BIOS etc. A system update can potentially fix software conflicts that cause Word launch failure.
I hope this detailed guide helped you troubleshoot and fix the common problem of Microsoft Word getting stuck on the splash screen. The key is to isolate the culprit through systematic diagnosis. Do share any other fixes that worked for you!