Putting your last name and page number in the top right corner of a Google Doc is an easy way to make your documents look more professional. This is especially useful for academic papers, essays, reports, and other multi-page documents.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to put your last name in the top right corner of a Google Doc, along with page numbers:
Insert Page Numbers
- Open the Google Doc you want to edit
- Click Insert > Page numbers in the top menu
- Select the first page number format option that appears in the drop-down menu
- This will insert the page number in the top right corner of every page
Add Your Last Name
- Click to the left of the page number, in the header area
- Type your last name
- Press spacebar once after your last name
- This will separate your last name from the page number
Here is what it should look like:
Pro Tip: Make sure the font and size matches the rest of your document, usually Times New Roman 12pt.
Customize the Header
You can further customize the header by:
- Centering or right aligning your last name
- Making your last name bold or italic
- Adding additional text before or after your last name
If your last name and page number ever get out of alignment:
- Double click the header to edit it
- Reposition the last name and page number
- Adjust font and size as needed
For academic papers, you may want to:
- Add the date to the header
- Include a title or shortened title
- Add a header with your name to the first page separately
This keeps the first page header distinct from the rest of the document.
Adding your last name and page numbers to Google Docs only takes a minute. This small formatting change makes your documents look clean, professional, and easy to navigate. Use this simple trick for all your multi-page reports, essays, assignments, and more!