Inserting the cent symbol (¢) in Word documents is easy once you know a few different methods. Whether you’re using Windows, Mac, or Word on a mobile device, this guide will teach you multiple ways to quickly add the ¢ symbol to your documents.
Use Keyboard Shortcuts
One of the fastest ways to insert ¢ is by using keyboard shortcuts. The exact shortcut depends on your operating system.
Windows Keyboard Shortcut
On a Windows computer, hold down the
Alt key and type
0162 on your keyboard’s numeric keypad. This will instantly insert the ¢ symbol where your cursor is located.
Tip: If your keyboard doesn’t have a separate numeric keypad, you can still use this shortcut. While holding down the
Ctrl key, press
/ followed by
Mac Keyboard Shortcut
For Mac users, press and hold the
Option key then press
4 on your keyboard to type ¢. This makes inserting cents easy since you don’t have to remember a numeric code.
Use Windows Character Map
Another option on Windows is to use Character Map to copy and paste the ¢ symbol:
- Open Character Map by pressing Windows + R and typing
- Scroll down and select the cent symbol in the chart.
Copyto copy the symbol.
- Place your cursor where you want ¢ to appear in your Word document.
- Right-click and choose
Pasteto insert the symbol.
While this takes a few more steps than a keyboard shortcut, it ensures you insert the correct symbol every time.
Use Mac Character Viewer
The Mac equivalent of Character Map is Character Viewer. To add ¢ this way:
- Go to Edit > Emoji & Symbols in the Word menu bar.
- Scroll down and double-click on the cent symbol to insert it where your cursor is located.
You can also drag the symbol directly into your document instead of double-clicking.
Tip: Add Character Viewer to your toolbar by right-clicking the toolbar and selecting Customize Toolbar. Drag Character Viewer so it’s easily accessible.
Set Up Autocorrect
If you frequently need to insert cents in Word, set up an AutoCorrect entry. This way, typing the word “cent” is automatically replaced with the ¢ symbol.
Here’s how to set it up:
- Navigate to File > Options and select Proofing.
- Click the
- On the
AutoCorrecttab, type “cent” in the
Replacefield and “¢” in the
- Make sure the formatting is set to
- Make sure the formatting is set to
OKto save the new rule.
Now whenever you type the word “cent” and press space or punctuation, it will instantly change to ¢.
Insert Cent Symbol on iPhone
Thanks to the emoji keyboard on iPhone, you can easily find and insert ¢ into Word documents.
- Place your cursor where you want to add the symbol.
- Tap the globe icon to switch to the emoji keyboard.
- Search for “cent” using the search bar at the bottom.
- Tap to select the ¢ symbol.
- Tap the document to insert the symbol and switch back to the regular keyboard.
Insert Cent Symbol on Android
Unlike iPhone, Android doesn’t have the cent symbol on its default emoji keyboard. But you can still insert ¢ with a few simple steps:
- Search for “cent symbol” on Google and copy the ¢ character.
- Open your Word document and paste the symbol where needed.
Alternatively, enable your numeric keyboard in Android’s settings. Then you can hold Alt and type 0162 to insert ¢, just like the Windows shortcut!
Use HTML Entities
When working with web documents in Word, you may want to add the cent symbol using HTML entities:
Both of those codes will render as ¢ when viewed as a web page. The advantage of using HTML entities is they enable consistency across different encoding standards.
To insert an HTML entity in Word:
¢where you want the ¢ symbol to appear.
- Press space and the code will convert to ¢.
Now you know multiple methods to insert cents in Word using Windows, Mac, mobile devices, keyboard shortcuts, special characters, AutoCorrect, and HTML entities.
With so many options, you should never struggle to add the ¢ symbol again! Quickly inserting cents makes formatting prices or financial documents much easier.