Adding page numbers to your Word documents can help keep the pages organized and make it easier to reference specific pages when collaborating or reviewing.
Page numbers in Word are fully customizable – you can place them at the top or bottom of pages, format the numbering style, and even restart numbering at any point.
In this guide, I’ll walk you through the entire process of inserting page numbers in Word 2007, step-by-step.
What You Need Before Adding Page Numbers
Before inserting page numbers, make sure to:
- Have your Word 2007 document open. Page numbers can be added to any existing or new document.
- Decide if you want page numbers on the first page. You can exclude page numbers from the first page if desired.
- Determine the page number placement. Typically page numbers go in the header at the top or footer at the bottom.
Once you decide on these basics, you’re ready to add page numbers to your Word document.
Step 1: Click the Insert Tab
The first step is to navigate to the Insert tab on the Word ribbon.
The Insert tab contains all the tools to add page numbers. Click the Insert tab at the top of the screen.
Insert tab in Word 2007
Step 2: Click the Page Number Button
In the Header & Footer section of the Insert tab, click the Page Number button.
This will open a dropdown menu with page number placement options.
Page number button in Word 2007
Step 3: Select Page Number Placement
In the dropdown menu, choose where you want page numbers inserted:
- Top of Page – Adds page numbers inside the header at the top of pages
- Bottom of Page – Adds page numbers inside the footer at the bottom of pages
- Page Margins – Adds page numbers in the side margins
Most documents look best with top or bottom page number placement.
Choose page number placement in Word 2007
Step 4: Pick a Page Number Format
After selecting the placement, you’ll see a gallery of page number formats.
Scroll through and click a format to insert it. Common options include:
- Plain Number – Just the page number by itself
- Plain Number 2 – Page number with a border line
- Plain Number 3 – Page number on a colored background
Tip: Hover over a format to preview before selecting.
Select page number format in Word 2007
Step 5 (Optional): Exclude First Page Number
If you don’t want your first page to show a page number, click the Different First Page checkbox.
This will exclude page numbers from the first page only.
Exclude first page number in Word 2007
Step 6: Customize the Header or Footer
After inserting page numbers, the header or footer tools will automatically open.
Use these tools to further customize the header/footer area around the page number:
- Change font styles, sizes, or colors
- Add additional text or images
- Adjust positioning
When done, click Close Header and Footer on the ribbon.
Customize header/footer in Word 2007
Step 7: Restart Page Numbering Mid-Document
To restart page numbering later in your document:
- Place cursor where you want new numbering
- Go to Insert > Break > Section Break (Next Page)
- Double-click header/footer and uncheck “Link to Previous”
- Format page number to “Start at: 1”
This will reset numbering for remaining pages.
Additional Page Number Tips
Beyond the basics, a few additional page number tips in Word 2007:
- Edit Numbers Later: To edit, double-click the header/footer area on any page.
- Remove Numbers: Click header/footer, select page number, and hit delete key.
- Troubleshooting: If page numbers won’t add correctly, check for text or objects selected in the header/footer.
Adding and formatting page numbers in Word 2007 is quick and easy once you know where to click.
Use the Insert tab, Page Number button, and header/footer tools to insert customized page numbering into any document.
Hopefully this guide gave you a good understanding of how to add page numbers in Microsoft Word 2007. Let me know in the comments if you have any other questions!